What Are the Two Best LG Optimus V Antivirus Options?Save $80 on the Motorola Triumph Android Phone at Virgin Mobile!
Antivirus apps are old hat to all Window’s PC users, are a bit new to Mac users, and virtually unheard of for Linux users (which is the granddaddy of Android). What is a virus you ask? It is the broad term we use to define any sort of malicious app or download you could pick up.
My theory is “better safe than sorry”!
What should you look for in a good Android antivirus for your LG Optimus V? Look for an app that is well established (aka, been around a long time), has a good security reputation, and runs automatically.
Let’s look at a few that make the cut:
Anti-Virus Free by AVG
AVG is a trusted name in the PC market, and I have personally used both their antivirus for PC and for the LG Optimus V. I highly recommend them.
They are clearly trying to make a name for themselves in the Android Market as the best free antivirus out there. While other antivirus options like Lookout Mobile Security have switched many of their features over to “premium only”, AVG is filling in some of those gaps with their features.
- Scan apps, settings, files, and media in real time
- Find/locate your lost or stolen phone via Google maps
- Backup and restore all your valuable apps and data
- Lock and wipe your device to protect your privacy
- Kill tasks that slow your phone down
- Browse the web securely
- Protects apps from viruses, malware and spyware
- Identifies unsecure device settings and advise how to fix them
- Ensures emails, contacts, bookmarks and text messages are securely safe
- Checks media files for malicious software and security threats
- Protect you from phishing attacks
- Can be run daily, weekly, or on demand
Phone locator Feature
- Locate your lost or stolen phone and help you find it via Google maps
- Turn your phone GPS on remotely and have the device send its location using GPS
- Lock your phone remotely via our Mobile Control Panel or by sending SMS to your phone to protect your data
- Set a lock screen message to help the locator find you
- Make your device ring even if your phone is on silent mode
Lookout Mobile Security
I have nearly a year of experience with Lookout Mobile Security, and it works well. It is hard for me to recommend it as much as I have previously because several of the free features have recently been transferred over to “premium”. At the heart of Lookout, however, it is a solid, long established, and trusted antivirus app in the Android Market.
The auto back up feature will backup your contacts and your SMS messages. Lookout used to back up your photos as well, but this feature is now premium only. If you do not want to pay premium to get this feature, just use Google+ auto upload feature or Ubuntu One’s auto media upload feature. Both rock!
The locate feature without GPS turned on is limited to +/- a few miles. The remote wipe feature works great too, which I recently learned by losing and finding my spouse’s phone.
- NEW Safe Browsing: Stay safe from phishing and malware while surfing the web
- Stay safe while banking on your phone
- Block malware, spyware, and phishing apps
- Scan every app you download to ensure it’s safe
- Schedule daily or weekly security scans
- Automatic protection against the latest threats
- Prevent a virus from transferring from your phone to your PC
- Unlike other antivirus apps, Lookout doesn’t drain your battery
“Find My Phone” Features
- Phone Locator: Locate your lost or stolen phone on a Google map
- Activate a loud alarm, even if it is on silent
- When possible, Lookout will remotely enable GPS to help you find your phone even if GPS is turned off
- Log in to myLookout.com from any web browser to locate your phone
Backup & Restore Features
- Securely backup your contacts
- Restore your backup data to an existing phone
- Access all backed up data securely at myLookout.com
- Lookout is certified by TRUSTe – your privacy and your data is protected